Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chennai Post - Part 1

Part-1
My first post from Chennai.
Away from blogging for more than 2 months.. let us bame that on no access in office and no internet connection at home and that weekends were spent savoring gastronomic delights across the town.
Ramesh (of the Kumar Vadlamani fame) has left for hyderabad to shop for his wedding (happening in last week of October), and I am left alone for the first time. So let’s update our pals who have been pestering me with “how is Chennai”
For someone who has stayed all 25 yrs of his life in Mumbai and Goa, our employer said ...It’s time to take a look at the beaches on Bay of Bengal ocean as well... and so I landed in chennai on 15th July.
and the excitement started even before I came....
Prelude:
1 week to departure:
Subbu: Arey I will come and pick you up at the airport...I have my car here.. we can manage your luggage...you never know with the pre paid taxi guys.. they might ask you even more money at the end of the trip..pehli baar aa raha hai.. lemme pick you up... just book a late evening ticket.. so I can come to airport after office and there won’t be much traffic.
Brijesh: Books Air India flight @ 6 PM

Movie begins:
1 day to departure:
Brijesh:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Phone RIngs...
Brijesh: Who the F%^&!
answers phone..
Phone: I am calling from Air India.. your 6 Pm flight is postponed to 8.30 PM
Brijesh: damn.. then I'll reach there only by 10.30-11 PM.. and I have to report to office at 9 AM.

Tickets booked.. so no other option left..some packing left.. so cant take the morning flights...

I take 8.30 PM flight...reach @ 11..PM collect baggage by 11.30..PM is relieved to find Vivekanand (Subbu) at the arrival lounge in (NITIE T-shirt.)

Subbu: Hey man.. Welcome to Chennai..flight thoda late hua...hmmm...
Brijesh:.. Ya man.. take off and landing delays...

Brijesh: (thinking to himself): Chennai does not appear as hot as every1 was saying...

Subbu: Hey..Do you wanna hear the bad news or the worse news?
Brijesh: (knows Subbu well for 2 yrs..can expect this from him on a regular basis). Tell me the worse news.
Subbu: I had gone for a very long drive yesterday and the car’s cooling mechanism conked off.
Brijesh: OK so lets take a cab then..
Subbu: No I went to the mechanic.. he has done some temporary repairs.. said it is good enough to drive for 5 kms..so let us take our chances.
Subbu must have already driven his car for more than 5 kms just to reach the airport. Ab car le kar aaya hi hai. Toh cant leave it here..so we decide to take our (and the car’s) chances.
Subbu:.. And the bad news…
Brijesh: hmm.. ya?
Subbu:.. I left my car keys inside the car and the doors are locked!
--- End of Part 1 ------------

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murphy kuch zyada hi meherbaan ho gaya lagta hain...waiting for part 2 :)

Vivekanand said...

Nice description dude... But these kind of things are more of a rule than an exception for me ;)

Waiting for the post on the remainder of the evening.

atlee said...

Birju..was fun reading the piece..esp. the twist in the last line.